The United States will send 3,500 extra troops to Afghanistan, U.S. officials said Wednesday.
The long-expected deployment would bring the total number of American forces in Afghanistan to more than 14,000.
Last week, Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis told reporters that he had signed deployment orders for some of the troops but would not make an announcement on the specific numbers until after he briefed Congress.
On Wednesday, Mattis, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Joseph Dunford, the Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats briefed members of Congress about the new strategy in Afghanistan. Quoted from foreign media.
Last month President Trump vowed a broad strategy for Afghanistan and the neighboring region, saying that “conditions on the ground — not arbitrary timetables” would guide his administration’s approach. He also said that he would take a stronger stance against Pakistan and that American forces would “have the necessary tools and rules to make this strategy work.”
Meanwhile, late Wednesday, a suicide bomber detonated in front of Bagram Airfield — after American and NATO forces dropped religiously offensive leaflets in surrounding countryside. A statement by the U.S.-led mission did not detail the extent of the damage, only that there was a “small number” of casualties.