UNICEF: Kabul School Blast Violates Educational Safety and Threatens Children
DID Press: UNICEF has expressed concern over the wounding of 42 children in an explosion outside a school in Kabul’s Dasht-e-Barchi district, stressing that educational facilities are protected under international law and that the safety, dignity and rights of children must be safeguarded under all circumstances.

In a statement responding to the recent explosion outside the private Sham-e Hedayat School in western Kabul, the United Nations Children’s Fund said the injuries suffered by 42 children aged between 9 and 14 were “alarming” and underscored the need for the permanent protection of children and educational environments.
UNICEF said schools should provide safe environments free from fear, violence and harm, allowing children to learn, develop and grow.
The agency stressed that, under international law, educational facilities are afforded special protection and that safeguarding children’s safety, dignity and rights is an urgent responsibility.
UNICEF also called for a thorough, comprehensive and independent investigation into the incident, saying accountability and clarification of what happened are essential to preventing future attacks against children and educational facilities.
The explosion occurred on Monday, 26 Asad, outside the private Sham-e Hedayat School in Kabul’s Dasht-e-Barchi area. Hospital sources reported that at least 42 children were injured. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, while the Taliban have not provided further information about the incident.
The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) and the UN Special Rapporteur on human rights in Afghanistan had earlier expressed sympathy for the victims and called for investigations and immediate measures to protect civilians.